Published on July 4th, 2014 | by Gerry Galipault0
A songwriter’s dream: winning the ISC
If you have any connection to the music industry, surely you’ve heard of the International Songwriting Competition by now.
For budding songwriters, this is the big time.
• The contest receives about 20,000 entries from more than 100 countries every year.
• Judges this year include Tom Waits, Sarah McLachlan, Avicii, Wayne Shorter, Sara Evans, Keane, Newsboys, Bastille, John Hiatt, Casting Crowns, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jon Secada, Jason Isbell, Darryl McDaniels and more.
• Also on the judging panel: presidents and CEOs from such labels as Universal Republic, Warner Bros., Atlantic, Elektra, Columbia UK, Virgin UK, Mercury UK, Sony Music Latin, Alligator Records.
• Past ISC winners include Gotye, The Band Perry, Kasey Chambers, Amanda Palmer, Gin Wigmore, King Charles, Kimbra, Passenger and Andrew Bird.
• Songwriters can enter their tunes at www.songwritingcompetition.com/submit (at $30 per entry).
• Songs are judged on creativity, originality, lyrics, melody, arrangement and overall likability.
• The deadline to enter is Sept. 18.
• ISC 2014 semifinalists and finalists will be announced in March 2015 and winners a month later.